Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Workin' on it Wednesday...

Something I thought might be fun, is to tackle hump day and head into the rest of the week feeling productive by sharing what I'm elbow deep in each week, even if it isn't finished projects ( mostly won't be, hence the "workin' on it" title)  just the behind the scenes works of it all...I totally enjoy taking a peek at others' inner workings and seeing the steps that build behind their cool art.

So here we go with 
WOW #1
Right now I am finishing up some backgrounds for a few canvas pieces that I have in the works; this blue one will be about having faith and spreading wings etc. the words and pictures are all well underway in my mind but of course need a place to land...
So far, lots of blendy acrylic, lots of drippy watercolors, some india ink for good measure, and now time to look at it across the room and decide if it is ready for the good parts!
 For this bigger canvas, I am illustrating the story of someone's life and all of the different chapters. 
I drew out this huge stack of books first, and then decided the texture needed here was to cover much of the rest in vintage book pages (of course backing up the theme of the piece). 
I find this page piecing done best, and with no loose edges, by using gel medium under and over the text pages. watery white glue is fine and so is mod podge, but this is just my fave. Oh, and as you can see, I also prefer fingers to paint brushes or palette knives...they are super washable ( no kidding!) and I have FULL control over what they do.
 And lastly for Right now, I am finishing up an art journal on Kraft. 
Not sure yet where all of these little pages will go, but they will be packaged up and sold as printable mini backgrounds in the next couple of weeks. And then I can get personal with my own and make it into a spilling over of heart. 
This one is definitely keeping ink on my fingers and fun in the air! I LOVE the carefree that happens when your "canvas" is something as disposable as a roll of kraft paper...there is a whole other kind of freedom that doesn't always take place on an expensive  big canvas, or GORGEOUS scrapbook paper that has been lovingly hoarded.

And last but not least, I need your help with something. I am trying to use my time better now that my girls are all settled in happily at school and I can work full time all day long ( or night)
So, I have a question for you; I am toying with the idea of finally doing a newsletter, it would include where I am scheduled to be teaching, newly released Art or products, and BEST of all there would be offers and a few tips or videos that won't appear anywhere else. Not sure if it is worth my time though, can you shoot me a note if you would like this? Or if you have any thoughts or opinions on what you would like to see content wise. I will do my best to bring you what you ask for!

Thanks and happy Wednesday!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE a newsletter! I was in your class at Inspired and had the BEST time in it. I still love looking (and feeling) the book I made.

rawker2 said...

uh YES! newsletter is essential.

Laura said...

Yes, yes, yes to the newsletter. This is such a fun post too! :)

Jennifer Stewart said...

Hey, sweet CD! I would love to see your newsletter and be inspired by you. :) (which I already am)

Gaëlle said...

Superbes oeuvres , cela me donne de l'inspiration !!!! Bonne soirée !!!!! Gaëlle .

Christina Carnoy said...

I would love a newsletter!!! I just like to see your projects and the things you are working on, it really inspires me because you are for sure a "kindred spirit"!!! I wish you would come down to Portland, Oregon to teach sometime. I would love to take a class from you!!!!!

Natalie Elphinstone said...

A newsletter is a great idea! What I'd most love to see is things like this post - step-by-step of your process, techniques, tutorials, hints and tips, projects, inspiration etc etc.

red smartie said...

Yes, yes, of course!! Wonderful idea!!! :)

Jenni D'Amato said...

Great Idea...

sandra said...

i would love a newsletter from you. great idea!